The spirit of generosity from our community is one that we never take for granted at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. People from Middle Tennessee and across the United States give gifts of time, money, toys and more to help support the families we serve.
Below is a list of 10 ways (in no particular order) that you can do to support your local children’s hospital this holiday season. We have linked to some specific services at our hospital, but if you live outside our region, we encourage you to support the children’s hospital near you. Together we can make this season one to remember for some of the nation’s sickest children and their families.
- Donate wish list items: Many hospitals accept holiday gifts of supplies and toys for children. Check out our wish lists and guidelines for how and when to make a donation here.
- Patronize companies that support your children’s hospital or the Children’s Miracle Network: This simple choice makes a huge impact. This list of Children’s Miracle Network partners is a great place to start.
- Shop at the hospital gift shop: Consider visiting the hospital gift shop to do your holiday shopping. Our Friends Shop has a wide variety of items including blankets, toys and boutique clothing and Champ’s Corner Store offers safety products for the whole family. You can complete your holiday shopping and support the hospital at the same time.
- Support the hospital’s holiday project: If your local hospital offers a holiday project, consider purchasing items from it. Our Holiday Project cards, gift tags, wrapping paper and gifts are incredibly popular every year. Children whose lives have been touched by the Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt created all the art featured on the products.
- Give money: No gift of money is too small. Charitable contributions are critical to our search for treatments and cures for childhood illness and injury that will reach well beyond our region to potentially save the lives of millions of children.
- Incorporate giving into your business, church, book club or other group: If your business or group is looking for a meaningful way to make a difference, consider collecting donations for your local children’s hospital. Contributing to something as a team can be especially meaningful. . Our NICU and Rehab wish lists are a great place to find donation ideas.
- Support events: If your hospital is hosting events in which you can get involved, do. You and your family will surely enjoy the experience. See a list of our events on our calendar.
- Volunteer at the hospital or in the community: Volunteering is an easy way to serve your local children’s hospital. Friends of Children’s Hospital offers lots of ways throughout the year to give of your time and talents on behalf of the Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. You can learn about becoming a Vanderbilt volunteer here.
- Donate blood: A practical gift that literally saves lives! Find drives and donation centers here.
- Support partners that provide housing for patients’ families (Ronald McDonald House, Target House, etc.): These important organizations provide housing for many patient families, giving them a home away from home when they need it most. You can support them in a variety of ways such as bringing meals or donating supplies. We are so thankful for the Nashville Ronald McDonald House.
Remember children’s hospitals provide donation and volunteer guidelines and donation wish lists as a way to ensure the needs of the children and their families are met. If you would like to donate something that is not listed as a need, be sure to check with the hospital.
We hope this post encourages you to support your local children’s hospital. Many thanks for linking arms with us as we care for so many children this holiday season.