5 Ways to Stay Busy While WaitingOctober 12th, 2012 | Posted by in Parenting
A few weeks ago, we had an appointment at the ENT. Because of an unavoidable surgery delay, we had to wait longer than anticipated. Working in health care, you would think I would know that waits sometimes are unavoidable.
Unfortunately, I came to the appointment with my two children – Adeline, 15 months and Elias, 4, - with only the bare essentials in my diaper bag. Thankfully, the great nursing staff came to my aid, giving my kids juice, water and crackers, as well as some books to occupy them.
And in an effort to not lose my mind, I thought of this post: 5 ways to stay busy while waiting at the doctor, the dentist or really any other place you have to wait with kids in tow.
- Play – Many children’s doctor and dentist waiting rooms will have some form of entertainment. Take advantage of the fun toys and activity tables. Also, kneel down and play with your kids. I find that when I engage my children (versus having my nose in a magazine), they are happier and their attention spans lengthen.
- Read – Tuck a few books in your bag so that you can read stories while you wait. Stories usually calm even my feisty toddler. That day, I wished I had an anthology of stories with me.
- Color – It is amazing how a simple coloring book and a few crayons can pass the time. I sometimes will print a coloring sheet from the web and stick it in my purse before going somewhere with my kids. A new coloring sheet can be just the thing to bring some happiness to what could otherwise be a frustrating situation.
- Bounce a ball – My kids love balls. They are great sources of entertainment – especially in small spaces like waiting rooms.
- Tap and swipe - When all else fails, the taps and swipes of a game on a smart phone or tablet can be a perfect distraction.
What tips would you add to this list?